Re: saving throw and multiple attacktypes

On Mar 5,  5:57pm, KAWAMOTO Yosihisa wrote:
> Subject: saving throw and multiple attacktypes
> In crossfire 0.92.2, a follower of God prayed at the alter and
> got two attacktypes, weaponmagic and fear.  But this weapon is
> very useless because fear blocks almost any other attacks in
> server/attack.c.
>
>   /* Basically, the next glob of code does saving throw for the attack types
*/
>   if(type&(AT_PARALYZE|AT_FEAR|AT_POISON|AT_CONFUSION|AT_SLOW|
>     AT_CANCELLATION|AT_DEPLETE))
>     if(!op->speed||(!QUERY_FLAG(op, FLAG_MONSTER)&&op->type!=PLAYER)||
>        RANDOM()%((type&AT_SLOW)?6:3)||
>        /*  the following includes a secret saving throw for magic:
> 	   you get TWO saving throws for magical attacks! */
>        (RANDOM()%20+((op->protected&type)?5:1) >= savethrow[op->level]))
>       return 0;
>
> I have some questions.
>
> 0. What is saveing throw?  I can't understand a meaning and an
>    idea of these words.

 The idea of a saving through comes from D&D.  Basically, as determined by some
luck, level, and other protections, you may be unaffected by some attack type.

 Thus, a high level person is not as likely to become confused, poisened, etc
as a low level person

> 1. Is this a specification or just bug of multiple attacktypes?

 I personally think it is a bug - if you have something that attacks with fear
and weaponmagic, that should work by doing both damage and possibly causing
fear.

> 2. Praying at the alter add some attacktypes to a weapon but
>    almost weapons lose the attacktype 'physical'.  I think
>    leaving 'physical' is better.  Are there any reason to lose
>    'physical'?

 If attacktype weaponmagic replaces physical, it makes a lot of sense.  But
this is a tough question.  A weapon that attacks both fire and physical may be
better than one that attacks just fire or just physical depending on the
monster.

 However, I can say that there should never be a weapon with attacktype of both
physical and weaponmagic - weaponmagic is just a much improved physical in some
sense (there are very few monsters immune to weaponmagic, there are a fair
number immune to physical.)

--
 --Mark