Reading/literacy (was Re: CF: Re: crossfire (fwd))

> From: "Mark Wedel" writes:
>
> On Mar 17,  1:35am, Frank Tore Johansen wrote:
> > Subject: crossfire (fwd)
> > Hiya, I guess this was either meant for the list or for you.
> > As for literacy skill, it should probably be moderated somewhat.
> > I haven't tested the newest version yet thou.
> > Maybe scramble the chars a little if you have no litteracy, and scramble
> > then less the higher your skill get?  Or maybe just make it not apply
> > to the starting town and its buildings.
> >
> > -Frank.
> >

>  I am not sure how all the literacy stuff works out (Brian could probably state
> in better terms), but various readables can have a level which makes it harder
> to read them.  By default, all old readables don't have any level, but I don't
> know if this means you don't need the literacy skill to read them or not.

	Under the new scheme, players need the literacy skill to read
	books, spellbooks and scrolls. Signs (anywhere) are readable
	even without literacy skill to prevent serious playbalance problems.

	Eventually, I agree that it would be nice to go to a scrambling scheme;
	currently though, literacy works by comparing the level of the
	document and the reader's level. Generally speaking, if the reader
	has a literacy skill of level within the booklevel *minus* 5, they
	can read the book (or scroll or spellbook). Experience is awarded
	1 time for reading based on the reader's level and the book level.
	Backfire effects for mis-reading scrolls is possible if you read a
	scroll that is higher than 10 levels *over* your literacy skill.

	Lack of reading scrolls is a playbalance problem for the fighter
	classes which 1) benefit most from scroll use and 2) dont start
	with literacy. I found it hard in my heart to believe every
	"Barbarian" is literate. However, playbalance really is more important
	than style. So here are some possible solutions (and I agree some
	corrective action should be taken):

	1) make all characters literate at start (ie give skill_literacy)

	2) lower the cost of the literacy scroll *and* make it more available.

	3) make all level 0-1 documents readable/useable regardless of
	   possession of literacy skill.  This might mean that the book
	   contained more 'pictographs' than words.

	4) Add potions to the game that enable (temporary) spell powers
	   for characters. These potions would allow fighters to 'cast'
	   spells like they used to w/ scrolls. Potions would be less
	   powerfull than scrolls and more expensive, but would be more
	   reliable and dont need literacy to read them. I have such
	   code up and running on my 0.92.2 version. I am porting it now
	   and could release it soon if there is interest.

	I (of course) prefer options 2-4.

						bt.