Re: CF: Literacy

> From: farrarb@vnet.net (Bill Farrar) writes:
>
> I've got a question here....
>
> We've noticed that a character who doesn't have literacy (or whatever
> skill it takes to *read* things) is pretty unbalanced.  For example,
> you can't read the rules Town Hall, can't read quest items, etc.

	Ah, I see your tuning into the discussion late... Yeah, the
	0.92.3 version, other than being *pretty* buggy, is also
	unbalanced for this reason. I put forth several solutions
	a while back, and I am working on some of them now. For the
	time being, the best thing to do is to give every player
	class the literacy skill. This is fairly easy. Edit lib/treasures
	entry for "basic_skills" and add the arch skill_literacy to
	it. Now all starting players will have literacy. (treasures
	should look something like:

# All players will start with these skills
# -- only skills critical to being able to
# play should go here. -b.t.
treasure basic_skills
  arch skill_find_traps
  more
  arch skill_literacy
  more
  arch skill_remove_trap
  more
  arch skill_use_magic_item
  end

> but it seems to be needed to understand some of the quests.  My
> question is how do you get the literacy skill? Is there a way to pick
> it up with an item?

	To gain literacy *after* starting the game, you need to
	"read" a scroll of literacy. Yah, its perverse, but way
	back when skills system was being developed I didnt think
	about how players would gain skills too hard.

					-b.t.