CF: Re: Future notes and XPM default

 As Raphael mentioned in his own page, using XPM always has some disadvantages
(on low memory xterms, it will just die).  Also, if you have black and white,
XPM probably looks worse than just standard bitmaps.  XPM is also slower, which
can be a factor on some machines also.

 Arguable, we could some logic like (if display is color and display is this
machine, use xpm).  What I don't like about that is that the behaviour isn't
quite as consistent - people see xpm, but when they try to start up something
else, they dont.  Not sure how big of an issue that is.

 I know of no major rewrite in crossfires future.  To convert to C++ would be a
large effort, and should be done as a ground up effort.

 However, of things that should be done, completion of the client server (at
least make it complete enough that you can do everything in the client that you
can right now, then working on making it more efficient.)  I believe Tero was
doing some work on cleaning it up some, not sure exactly if there is any status
on that.

 But looking through that, here are some things from the TODO list that would
probably make crossfire better on the RPG side:

- Expand the features of parse_message():
  Support for state-variables in messages.
  Support for services (ie, receive item, give different item, or advice)

- Fix throw, and make giants throw boulders (medium size) (boulder throwing
        works, but use a different boulder type)
        For objects, some assumptions on how far it flies will need to be
        made.

 There are of course some other thoughts, but expand on this (idea of quests,
so if you complete something, you can come back and get some reward.)

 Just thinking, however.  Client side stuff would be nice to complete.  It
would then be possible to have AI clientss, so you could form a party with just
your own characters, and have the AI at least keep them together (one client,
merges multiple views togehter or something.)  That alone could make things
much more interesting - but first that standard client needs to be done.

--
 --Mark