Re: CF: Map Generation

 My only thought on random maps is this:

 If the random map is done on a each individual server, it would seem that once
generated, they must remain on that server.  Otherwise, if a player wanders out
into a randomly generated town and saves his character, when he comes back,
that map might not exist.

 But this then gets into the issue - should the world be infinately large?
 With random maps, a character could keep wandering west, and keep finding new
terrain.

 If the map generator is done as part of the standard distribution, then I
don't see much of a point.  I would rather have good designed maps put in
place.  There are already a lot of hack/slash dungeons, and I don't see a need
for a lot more of those.

 However, a map generator could be an OK thing as a developement aid.  If it
does a good job, you oculd have it make the continent, and make some
adjustments as desired (or have it make the city, or whatever else.)

 But right now, a lot of map area doesn't mean a lot - it is just stuff that
needs to be travelled accross, and just spreads some of the stuff out.

 If you use the random encounters, this is a bit different, but random
encounters becomes a bit tedious after a short while (and the times you find
them on normal dungeon maps is a real pain.)

 A better random encounter method could probably be done.  My thought would be
that for each type of terrain, have a list of monsters it could generate, and a
chance (I guess you could use a treasure list for this..)  Then, have a random
chance of it generating that treasure.

 For reasons of speed, it might be reasonable to only check/generate these
items if they are within some range of the player (maybe the 11x11 viewing
area.)  This way, you might meet the off monster while travelling here and
there, but not the large encounter maps that you get right now (if ocmpiled
with random encounters..)

--
 --Mark