Re: Sounds (various ideas - long)

Ugh.  Can you believe I'm replying to this now??  Hehe.  I need more
time. :>
I'll leave the whole message quoted since its so old to better refresh
the memory.

On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, Michael B. Martin wrote:

> What this is describing has existed for many years (originally on the
> Amiga, I believe).  There are music formats (the Pro-Tracker ".mod"
> format being the oldest and best known) which are designed to operate
> in exactly the manner listed above.  A digitized sample is stored for
> each instrument and then played back at the appropriate sampling rate
> to set the pitch, with (typically) several other tricks, like
> volume/pitch slides, looping, etc.  This music format has the
> advantage of being relatively compact while still giving good music
> quality (and as long as the player hardware is sufficient, the sounds

Yes, I have a very large collection of mods (4tracks) and what is called
.669 (8tracks) files.  They are very good, and using them would be nice
for the music.  Only problem is each one has their own sound samples.
What I was describing is a one time collection of a bunch of good
samples, then a group of music files that are very small that just point
to which samples to play.  This is a different and what I think better
approach from .mod files because you only have one set of samples, saving
space in the long run.  And new samples could always be added when
required by new music files.  There is a program that was made for
DOS/windows, I forget what it was called, but it was a MIDI player that
allowed you to play .MID files through a sound card that had no wavetable
support and it would have its own samples that it would play according to
the instructions from the .MID file.  Doing something like that would be
great, instead of making our own standard, just have a player for the
game that reads .MID files which anyone could make and the player would
pass the samples to the sound card.

> are faithfully reproduced, unlike with, for example, MIDI files, whose
> sound depends on what synthesizer you use).  Incidentally, this
> is also known as "wavetable synthesis" on the modern Intel-based PC
> sound cards.

Yep.  I have a Sound Blaster AWE32 which has wavetable, sadly there is
only SB16 support for Linux, so I need to get a daughterboard that is
supported under linux to get true wavetable.  Then .MID's without samples
would be perfect for me. :>
But, like mentioned earlier, most people don't have good sound equipment
on their computer.  A player with its own samples would be better suited
so that all will get wavetable sound.

> > Ya, I had the same thought.  But my question is do you think its worth
> > adding?  How big would say 128 (standard # of MIDI) Instrument files be?
> > In my opinion, space, speed, whatever shouldn't matter.  If alot of us
> > want to give up the space, and the need for speed, then great, lets do
> > it.  People can always turn off the music part and not download the
> > wavetable music collection. :>
> >

> > -Matt (Who is very anxious to see something like this done for background
> > sound. :>)
>
> Well, the best (General MIDI) wavetable sound cards I know of use up
> to 4 MB of sample ROM (2 MB is generally considered inadequate for
> good instrument quality).  But I don't know how many instruments that
> includes (some cards claim over 300 instruments, I think, but I don't
> know how much storage those require).  I have a GUS, so on my system
> the instrument samples take up several MB (samples are stored on disk
> instead and loaded on demand into sound card RAM).

Well, I don't consider that bad at all.  4-8megs for great sound isn't much
to give up.  And if we use .MID files, (cool, idea comming on..) people
can decide if they need the sample files.  Someone with a wavetable card,
or someone who decides they don't want to use up the same can have just
the .MID files.  The player would then pass the .MID file to the sound
card and just let it handle how to play the .MID when it discovers the
samples haven't been included.  Those that have the space and want
wavetable sound but don't have wavetable can nab the samples along with
the player.  There is already a "playmidi" player but that just passes the
midi directly too the sound card and couldn't be used for sample sound.
I do know the author of playmidi and I'm sure he might be able to provide
input on this if its unsure how to go about using midi files.

In the end, I think midi files with the option of having sample files is
the best way to go about having music in crossfire.

-Matt