Re: CF: Maps, stealing, etc.

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Niilo Paasivirta <np@cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
> Anyway, here's a couple of things I've noticed by playing the game
> (do the developers ever play it?).

Nah, I think that the developers don't have the time for that.
They are too busy coding to waste their time playing the game.  :-)

> Line 98, maps/Lake_Country/small_buildings/burial_ground:
> 	slaying kundi_area
>
> results, of course, in "The image of a ghost is closed" when you
> say the magic word...

I noticed that too.  One of the first things I did when I received the
new maps with Lake_Country is to change that exit to "../kundi_area",
because I also got trapped there.  There are several other places in
Lake_Country in which the exits are not correctly connected.  There
are also some maps that are not reacheable at all (probably some old
stuff, but it should be removed, then), such as those in
/Lake_Country/flight/.

> Or is it supposed to be a death trap?

Not if you have the "word of recall" spell.  One of the squares in
that map doesn't have the "no spells" (the one with the image of the
angel).

> It's
> not working too well, because one can get to level 110 with physical
> and agility skills there. Just enter the place, steal everything
> from Angel, then kill it. You have to die, but that's nothing
> compared to the amount of exp you just got.

Right.  You get far too much experience for killing that angel.  And
if you use the "word of recall" to get back to the city, you don't
even loose 20% of your exp.

> Another bug (?) with Lake Country maps: there seems to be no
> way to enter Ebon Thief Guild. Sneaky the thief at the inn does
> not say anything nor has that Master key of Thievery, which I think
> is required for entering the guild. But perhaps the area is not
> finished?

It is obvious that some places are not finished.  But there _is_ a
way.  I found it.  :-)  Go to Galmorus' hut, then go to the secret
passage in the garden (hint: it's wet near the entrance) and you
should be able to find your way from there (second hint: some walls
are not so solid).  The same passage should also be reachable from
Jacob's house, although I have never been able to enter from there.

> Stealing skill gives far too easy experience. Go to Jessy (9th level
> of Hell at Brest for example) and steal from it, you'll be at level
> 110 in no time.

It is also very easy to gain a lot of exp by using the oratory skill.
Castle guards are a good targets for low level players because they
will not attack you immediately.  You can also experience in wisdom
skills by killing demilichs from Lord Ramsdre's mansion in Santo
Dominion.  There is a small corridor in that house which doesn't have
"no spells", so you can kill all demilichs with "holy orb",
"banishment" or other prayers.

> All you need is Ring of Life, acid protection if
> possible, and level 17 warrior, for example. I rised 93 levels in
> a couple of hours, most of the time saved at Jessy and waiting the
> game to crash (I don't run this server). Even singing isn't _that_
> good any more. And, of course, you can easily out-maneuver Jessy,
> turn all the handles, and get the key to treasure chamber every
> time too :)

Well, I did the same a few times in the towers of luck.  I quickly
gained a lot of exp in the physical skill by killing Jessy a couple of
times (immunity to cold, fire, lighning and attack helps a lot too).
Then I gained a lot of exp in wisdom skill with the "holy wrath"
prayer, which is very effective against Jessy and big wizards.  It
takes a bit more time for getting exp in wizard skills because Jessy
is immune to most of them.

Now I can take almost any character from level 1 to 110 in a couple
of hours.  That should not be possible.

> Still, I'm only on the 3rd place on high score list here. Just because
> I haven't yet found the easiest way to rise spellcasting level...

I went through all houses in Brest a couple of times, killing dragons
and other monsters with frostbolt.  The "destruction" spell is very
useful too (it doesn't destroy all items).

-Raphael