CF: Newbie problem

I compiled Crossfire just fine recently in default mode.  I then compiled
with the bitmap option.  The program compiled fine but would not run.  I got
this message after the copyright notices:

SIGSEGV received
IOT trap/Abort

I'm running the game on a standalone Linux box in the
/usr/local/games/crossfire directory.   It's version 0.91.8.   I suspect
that I'm not putting the Crossfire images in the right spot but that's only
a guess.   Any help for someone who wants a more colorful Crossfire game?
 Thanks in advance.