Re: CF: PLayer problem

On Apr 19, 10:12am, Servio Medina wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: PLayer problem
>
> Hello,
>
> 	I had sent a request for help regarding a problem with a player
> loggin on.
>
> 	This is version 0.92.3, perm-death mode is on.
> 	The player's name is accepted.
> 	An incorrect password is refused.
> 	The correct password crashes the game.
> 	The same problem happened to another player, both involved players
> 		are wizards.
> 	I speculate a scroll (as mentioned in archives) related problem akin
> 		to the magic shop problem aforementioned.
> 	Tried version 0.92.2...same result with the *same* players.
>
> Thanks for any/all help.
>
> Servio
>-- End of excerpt from Servio Medina

 I am guessing this is the same cause as some of the other crashes.

 The player probably has a book/scroll with a message.  Unfortunately, there
was a bug in the code that prevented the trailing line feed from being
put in.  Thus, when loading the object, it would never find the endmsg
marker.

 Try loading the character file in an editor like vi or emacs.  Then search
for endmsg.  All of these should be on a line by themself.  If you find
one that is somethign like:

<bunch of text>endmsg

 Then break this up, and things should work OK.

 However, this just fixes teh immediately problem - if you continue using
0.92.3, you could get other scrolls with the same problem.  I will try
to make a new release pretty soon.

--
 --Mark