Re: improvement scrolls

On Oct 25,  3:54pm, Arne Wichmann wrote:
> Subject: Re: improvement scrolls
> Also sprach Mark Wedel:
>
> > > And get rid of the possibility to have more than one stat improvement
> > > spell active at any one time. Okay, maybe allow _different_ stat
> > > improvement spells, but never the +18 strength or charisma you can get
> > > now :-( [Today, charisma only serves as a tax on newbies who haven' t
> > > got the charisma spell yet]
>
> Good idea...

 I don't see a major problem with that change.  Original way was that you could
have one active spell on at any one time, and that was a bit restrictive.  When
that was removed, it just allowed any number of spells, which then created some
problem with stat spells.

> >  Charisma is an odd stat - at the with the skill code, it gets put
> > to some better use.  But without skill code, charisma has no real
>
> Where in the skill code do you need charisma?

 I notice that singing and oratory use charisma.  This will perhaps get
increased as more skills are added.

> > use other than for selling and buying items.  Once you get the
> > charisma spell, or if you make a bank character, you no longer care.
> > Charisma has already been evened out a bit more once - perhaps it
> > should be redone again so that the costs you get for different
> > charismas is even less (maybe just a percent or so for point of
> > difference?)  Thus, high charisma is still useful (added with
> > skills), but having a low charisma doesn't hurt that much?
>
> Hmmm... I wouldn't do  that, most of  the problem is already solved by
> the   bargaining  skill.  It  is    now  easy   to  get  to   Charisma
> 30. Hmmm... When  rethinking that, I think  that the price differences
> between low and high charisma are ok for me, but the differences could
> be spread more linear.

 Well, getting the bargaining skill can be quite expensive - I priced a scroll
one time and it was several thousand platinum.  Obviously, if the character
starts with the skill, it is not a problem.

 The charisma bonuses actually are sort of linear - the problem is the way the
cha_bonuses are then applied - while the values seem to be linear, with the
formula that gets used, it tends to make the values not as linear.  I should
probably re-write the formula in sell item so that it makes the values more
directly in line with those that the cha_bonus gives.

> >  As for spells, they are useful for getting up to about 20 or so, no matter
how
> > many times you cast it.  Maybe the best you can get via spells should be
> > lowered to 20 no matter what (right now I think you can get 22 or 23 if you
try
> > hard enough..)
>
> Hmmm... I think it might be better if they could just be cast only
> once.

 One fact is that how much it raises your stat depends on what your stat is.
 Thus, if you stat is 18, you will gain 1 point, but if it is 10, you might
gain 5.  So even casting it once can make big differences.  I am not sure if
this is true for all stat spells, or just charisma.  I would imagine it would
apply to all spells.

 Perhaps the stat spells should only be found in scrolls, or even just potions
that have temporary effects?  Perhaps potion should be redone to only have
temporary effects, and potions/fountains/something that does permanent stat
raising should be at the end of quests and other hard to get places?

--
 --Mark