Re: Getting into a crossfire game

Matt Cortes wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Arne Wichmann wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... wouldn't it be a good thing to have crossfire handle
> > X security?
>
> I agree.  Its very poor to set it up that why.  COuldn't some automated
> security be taken on by crossfire itself?  Its a major hole for a popular
> game.  There is enough holes in unix to worry about already. :>
> While we are on topic, it would be nice to have a group of programmers to
> make crossfire more user friendly.  I finally managed to get a good game
> going, already on level 8 in one day.  (Thanks to all those who replied
> so fast and helped me get it running)  The point is, I had alot of
> trouble figure out crossfire, and I'm a above/novice programmer as well
> as a computer consultant/technican.  There are probably lots of other
> people who would love to play this game but haven't a clue how to compile
> it, etc.  My suggestion is to first make pre-compiled binaries for Linux
> and other popular UNIX distros.  It would also be nice to have a easy to
> use installation program as well as a metacache server as found with the
> netrek game.  People who have public servers can add themselves to this
> metacache list and then when someone starts up crossfire with the
> metacache server, get a point & click listing of all running servers.

Using the client/server is a better way of solving the security problem.
There is no way I would let X traffic through our firewall, but crossfire
protocol traffic I probably would. The client/server approach could also
help solve the complexity problem. Assuming the protocol doesn't change and
there are no major changes such as adding a new stat, the same client
should be able to work with many versions of the server.

--
Rupert G. Goldie, Research Scientist                rgg@aaii.oz.au
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute