Re: eutl updates?

tuan t. doan writes:
 > > As of now, there is not a lot of reason to do so, since the game is still
 > >quite usable without eutl (and from the sounds of it, most servers on the
 > >net are not using it in any case.)
Given that the client isn't really finished, and the server isn't really
finished, I'm not surprised.

 >   Forgive my ignorance, but what is an eutl package.  Is this the client-
 > server code that Eric is working on?  If so, what percentage of the purposed
 > protocol has been completed?
The eutl library is a collection of useful routines such as hash tables,
debugging stuff, dynamic arrays, error handling, tcp stuff.  It also
provides replacement versions of routines not available on some
platforms.  I used it to do the client server stuff because it had
arglist which can be sent via tcp and used as messages, and because it
had the tcplib.  I also used it because it has a good notion of error
handling.

I'm not the only one working on client-server, and it's not really being
done according to the proposed protocol because I didn't really like the
protocol as it was proposed.  The main pieces that are missing are:
 1. bitmap support in the client (I believe the server can send them)
 2. some way of handling the magic mapping spell
 3. Checking to make sure it works.
(Any other missing things can be suggested)

I don't know when it will get done because many of the people who were
working on it seem to have stopped.  (I know I have)
	-Eric