re:Starting at levels greater than 1

In message "re:Starting at levels greater than 1", you write:

>On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, tuan (t.) doan <tdoan@bnr.ca> wrote:
>>   How about a special key gets generated for a particular player (probably
>> based upon the checksum of the player file) when each level is achieved.  That
>> way, if the player chooses to play the same character again (s)he can zip to
>> the appropriate level if (s)he has the correct key.  Giving your friend the
>> key doesn't work because the key is unique per player's name.
>
>I like this idea.  Allowing a beginner to start at level 10 is not interesting
>(for the player) because (s)he would not learn the basics of the game in the
>same way, and that would probably spoil some of the fun.  Besides, the level
>is intended to be an image of the player's experience.  Using a "key" that
>would be different for each player is a better solution, IMHO.
>
>The key should be short (5-6 digits) so that it is easy to type and to
>remember (well, 10 digits are OK if you write them on a piece of paper).
>It should be a simple hash code based on the player's name, archetype and
>experience.  The other data in the player's file vary too much to be useful.
>
>The key could also be based on a seed provided by the server (either in
>config.h or in some config file read at start up).  By changing the seed,
>it would be possible for the maintainers of one server to make sure that
>people who are at level 20 on their server have acquired their experience
>there, and not on another server.  But I expect that most servers would keep
>the default seed, so that experienced players would not be pissed off if
>they can't start at their usual level.  Note: there would still be a limit
>for the highest level at which players could start.  See below.

   If done correctly, the key could be simple word that can easily be memorized.
For example, let the key be a quasi-unique 8 bit number generated in the same
manner as CRC checksum.  Then use that number as an index to a file to return
a meaningful word.  The file can be unique populated by the admin. and is very
flexible.

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 214-684-4575   Fax: 214-684-3716
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             WWW: http://47.53.64.96/tdoan/tdoan.html