Re: More on classes/skills/races/etc.

From: woodruff@cadence.com (Ken Woodruff)

I agree with what Ken said.  It's clear that human, fighter, elf and
fireborn don't belong the same category.  If crossfire have races and
classes, then abilities and stats could used like Ken said.

> However, I'm not sure that the goal should necessarily be simplicity,
> just more logical behaviour.  I think that a wide variety of classes
> (such as the Paladins, Rangers, Druids and Illusionists added by AD&D)
> would add to the game.

The only thing that I don't like Peter's proposal is dividing experience
in four categories.  It makes some sense, but I'm not convinced that
it's a good idea.  The old mails are archieved and available from

	http://www.ifi.uio.no:/~frankj/crossfire/archive/

so there you you should find already proposed ideas (May-June 94 has some
skill related articles).
[Hint: Someone could do nice html-interface for archieves. ;)]

I prefer a system where experience affects some generic things like hp's and
sp's and skills tell how good a player is in the specific skill.  If a thief
practices lock picking, he can become a good lock picker, but it doesn't
makes he better in stealing.  Also a fighter could consentrate for the specific
weapon type.  It would be little more complicated but much more flexible.
New classes could be added easily, just defining how easily they can
learn a specific skills.

  -Tero