Re: Extremely narsty XPM bug

| I've got a major problem using XPM's with crossfire on my system. The
| server is running on a Sparcstation with SunOS4.1.3, which causes most
| of the problems (SunOS is so broken I had to do some fairly major
| alterations to make it work). Windows are displayed on Suns and also on
| the DEC Alphas next door.
|
| The problem is as follows; the XPM's display perfectly on the Suns, but
| get completely the wrong mask on the DEC's, making it unplayable in XPM
| mode on them. I can't think why this should go wrong *only* on the
| DEC's, but not the Suns. Does anyone have any ideas?
|
| David Given
| dtrg@st-andrews.ac.uk

This problem was recently discussed on the X pm mailing list.
The problem is that the X pixmap library sets the pixel value of
the Masked out pixels to 0 (zero). On suns this is white but on other
machines this is often set to black by the X server. The solution is
to use the bitmap mask read in to set the color of the `None' transparent
color of the X pixmap before using it. Or just do not use the color `None'
at all.

If anyone comes up with the exact sequence to use mail me.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )   http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   PROGRAM  (pro'-gram)  [n] A magic spell cast over a computer allowing
      it to turn one's input into error messages.  [vt] To engage in a
      pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall,  but, with
      fewer opportunities for reward.                (dissel@nunic.nu.edu)