Re: Misc notes/thoughts.

On Dec 11,  7:04pm, Michael B. Martin wrote:
> Subject: Re: Misc notes/thoughts.
>
> > 	I was thinking of Tcl/Tk, which has also been recently ported to
> > WinDoze, and the Mac.  Does Java have a working interpreter on these
> > platforms, or are they in the works?
> >
> > 						-Kris Bosland
> > 						 krisb@seattleu.edu
>
> Hmm, Java is pretty new, and I don't think they have many (any?)
> stand-alone interpreters yet for non-Sun platforms, especially for
> Mac/MS-Windows.  Sun's Web site should have the definitive answer on
> this.  Netscape 2.0 (including the latest beta, I think) is supposed
> to have support for Java apps, but I don't know exactly what that
> means.  On the other hand, Tcl has been around a long time and, as you
> say, has been widely ported, so it might be a good first choice (do it
> in Tcl/Tk and then maybe Java later).  I suggested Java because it
> sounds like it's rather similar to C/C++ (thus potentially less
> porting work).
[snip]

There are java clients on many platforms.  Java support is now in Netscape
v2.0 Betas, freely available and the HotJava browser has had an official port
by Sun to Win32 which includes WinNT and Win95.  It does not run under Win32s
since it requires thread support.

Netscape provides support for the following platforms:
Win 3.1x
Win 95
Win NT
MacOS
Unix: HP-UX, IRIX, Sun Solaris, and SunOS .

The version of Java that Netscape supports is the beta version not the alpha
version.  They are not compatible with one another though Sun provides
utilities to convert alpha java into beta java.  You can get more Java info
from http://java.sun.com/

Java has won the battle, Microsoft, IBM, and Adobe have all licensed it.
Safe Tcl development has been stagnant because Java is so cool.  I would
support Java for any client development.

djw

--
Duncan J Watson                            Email:Duncan@hasp.com
Tech Support Manager/Sys Admin             Ph#:  +1 212 564 5678