Re: Misc notes/thoughts.

"Michael B. Martin" wrote:
> Someone (sorry, I'm too busy at the moment to look up the
> reference--you know who you are) asked about whether communication
> bandwidth or memory requirements was a higher priority.  If people
> want to play using modems, I think the former is definitely the higher
> priority.  Even a "fast" 28.8k modem can't sustain a full 4KB/s
> (uncompressed), which isn't much bandwidth.  Also, I think it's
> reasonable to expect players to have, say, 4MB of RAM on their
> (client) machine reserved for crossfire.  That should be plenty.

The initial spec aimed to support reasonable play over 9600bps.
It is possible to play crossfire over a 9600bps line. I have done it.
I was running X on a Linux box and ran crossfire in font display mode
and had a copy of the font on my local machine. crossfire was running on
the remote machine and displaying on my Linux box.

--
Rupert G. Goldie, Research Scientist                rgg@aaii.oz.au
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute