re:SKILLS Patch

	Hey all,

	Just want to address some questions about the skills patch to
	CF0.91.8:

>>	       boxing	User can make a "bare-handed attack". Damage
>>			is based on the user's Str and level. For some
>>			creatures the boxing attack can "confuse"
>>			(ie the monster is "punched silly").

>   Do you cause more damage if you're wearing gaunlet?

	At this time, no. Part of the motivation for making items
	and objects confer skills was to allow such things as
	"cestii", the Roman spiked gloves and "gloves of punching"
	(float like a butterfly, sting like a bee ....:)

>>	     climbing*	While the skill is readied, the possesser will
>    I suggest renaming this skill to mountaineer.  There might be a skill
> in the future call climbing used for climbing walls.

	Originally, I was calling this mountaineer, but for some
	intangible reasons changed the name. Perhaps it is better the
	other way. Either way, I also don't see how to make it
	possible for characters to climb walls with out ruining some
	maps. This is basically the same reason that I have'nt made
	a swimming skill (characters can cross currently impassible
	water). Many maps would have to be revamped in order to
	accomodate such a skill (too much work!!).

>>		 hide	User enjoys limited form of invisibility. If
>>			they attack or move too much they become
>>			visible. Right now it is possbile to
>>			hidden while next to hostile monsters. Not
>>			a reasonable feature!

>   How about the user remain invisible as long as (s)he does not move
>or say anything?

	I wanted to simulate the chances of monsters eventually finding
	the player. Let's face it, nobody is so good that they can remain
	hidden from a search indefinitely just by standing still in a
	corner! You can use the hide skill repeatedly, and remain hidden
	a long time however. Right now, every move the player makes
	has a probability of removing the 'hidden' status of the character,
	so it doesnt matter whether the character is moving fast or slow
	right now. Changing to a system where the chance of being unhidden
	is based on character movement rate sounds nice, but I am not
	sure how much work would be required to implement it.

>>	     stealing	User can take items from the inventory of other
>>			monsters.

>   How about other players?

	Yeah, you can steal from them. (But you better be able to run
	faster than them!!! :)

>>	    wrestling	User can make a "bare-handed attack". Damage
>>                        is based on the user's Str and level. For some
>>                        creatures the boxing attack can "paralyze"
>>                        (ie the monster is "held down").

>   Shouldn't it be 'wrestling attack can "paralyze"...'?
                    ^^^^^^^^^

	Opps! Sloppy writing on my part. Cut and paste without editting!!!
	Sorry.

>|  bargaining*  While this skill is readied the user has +10 Cha
>|               for purposes of purchase and selling of items only.
>|               Cha is never allowed to exceed 30.

> I think +10 is a bit extreme.

	Hmm. This seems to be the sentiment of several people. I guess I'll
	tune it down. A system based on character level sounds attractive.

>|   [sense curse] Actually, this may be the most important skill that
>|   beginner may want.

	People also refered to sense magic the same way. This was my original
	feeling about this skill. Right now, I have been working on several
	maps that have guilds where characters may always find skills (for
	a price). I have thought that minor quests would be involved also.
	In this way, begining, medium and advanced characters would have
	access to usefull skills all the time (instead of having to trudge to
	the shops repeatedly. For example, I have yet to see the much desired
	scroll of smithery in any of my shops!!). If people are interested
	I can release the maps.

							b.t.