Re: Stormbringer is wimpy

 +19 swords are quite possible.  However, once the item is +6 or so
(making it pretty much indestructible and immune to cancellation), I
went for rasing the stats (after weapon weight was reduced to near
0, and dmage was +70).  with all my stats above 25 (some laso
helped by rings and helms), I was in pretty good shape.  Higher
abilities have several advantages that are not gained by just a great
+ on the item - I have very fast speed, good ac, a lot of spell
points (500+), and I regenerate them like crazy.

 I think the main things that make character created artifacts really
powerful is the high damage (rubies) and low weight (pearls).

 The low weight gives an excellent weapon speed, and the high
damage is self explanatory.