Re: Status of xfire. Client/server 3d.

>  I have done some work on the client/server.  I will probably be making
> a new release of crossfire within a week or two, and it will include the
> work I have done on it.  So after that comes out, take a look at that
> code, and send me mail on what area you want to work on.

really? How much have you done with client/server?  Will the whole
release be client/server?

>  I can't see a 3D version being any faster than the current version if
> you use fonts with the current version.  Unless you use just simple
> line drawing for the 3D effect.

I can. For network play, the current 2D version is a DOG.  Try playing
with 8 people, even on a local ethernet network.  You get horrible
delays (always in the worst places I might add :).

Again, it all depends on the client you are running, how many FPS,
what the resolution is, how big the window is, how you define your
world, etc.

>  Also, going from 2D to 3D changes game play considerably.  In 3D mode,
> you have forward vision with limited side vision.  in present mode,
> you have all around vision.

Agreed. The game that I see in my head is a lot like Ulitma Underworld,
but multi player.

>  Also, handling a client/server version of 3D would be a lot different
> than the 2D model.  Also, 3D would require rewrites in major portions
> of the code.

well, maybe it won't be crossfire.  Crossfire II?  I dunno.  It would
have to be majorly rewritten, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

>  3D would be neat to see, but I am not sure how feasible it is.

Karim