Suggestion for Balancing Fighters/Mages

The most important key to balancing fighters and magic users
is probably what PeterM suggested, namely that cone spells and
fireballs should not propagate through monsters.  However,
I think that another key factor should be precluding magic
users from using super weapons (such as Demonslayer) to become
de-facto super fighters.

I suggest that damage should be made much more dependent on strength
The damage value of a weapon would remain the same, but the actual
damage done by a given player would be based on the weapon damage
and a multiplier determined by strength.  This could be a range
from 50% of damage at Str <= 10, +5% per point after that.
A strength of 20 would yield 100% damage, strength 30 yields 150%
damage.  Thus a magic user with strength 18 wielding a weapon
would be at 90%, while a barbarian at strength 25 would be at
125%, or 1.5 times as powerful.

--Ken

| Ken Woodruff           | "In every jumbled pile of person    |
| woodruff@cadence.com   |  there's a thinking part that       |
+------------------------+  wonders what the part that isn't   |
| Disclaimer: What tote  |  thinking isn't thinking of."       |
| bag full of $20 bills? |          --They Might Be Giants     |