Re: Suggestion for reducing size of map files, server/client bandwidth

Rupert G. Goldie <rgg@aaii.oz.au> wrote:

> It's worth mentioning, I think, that crossfire used to separate map objects
> from floor objects (anyone else remember .oo and .om files ?) The current
> method is more flexible and cleaner, but does use more memory, but that can
> be fixed (as Mark has mentioned)

I agree.  The old solution was messy and this one is more flexible.  But
there is something strange in the messages I just read about floors:
it looks like nobody is using XPM!  Is this the case?

I am always using CrossFire with XPM pixmaps instead of bitmaps, and I
create my maps with XPM in mind.  The reason why I think it's important
to have archetypes for floor, walls, etc is that you can stack them:
very otfen, I put a wall on top of a floor because the floor can be
seen (if you are using XPM).  Or when I build a pier, I add the sea
archetype underneath, because it looks much nicer that way.  This
would not be possible if there was only one "background" element.

BTW, in the current map distribution there are still many maps designed
for the "old" version of the game, i.e. there is no floor under most
walls and then you see the default yellow floor around the walls when
you are using XPM.  This is ugly.  Is there someone working on this?

-Raphael
| Finger: finger quinet@finger.montefiore.ulg.ac.be for some useless info.  |
| Mosaic: http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~quinet (under construction)      |
| E-mail: eedraq@chapelle.ericsson.se or quinet@montefiore.ulg.ac.be        |
| S-mail: Raphael Quinet, 9 rue des Martyrs, 4550 Nandrin (Belgium)         |
|         or: Raphael Quinet, Kapuzinergraben 2, 52062 Aachen (Germany)     |