Re: Abuse of Gravestones

> On Wed, 25 May 1994, Mark Wedel wrote:
>
> >  So how do you detect cases where casting a spell (and killing another
> > player) is an accident, compared to doing it on purpose?  The players
> > can usually tell, but to actually program in code to detect becomes a bit
> > more difficult.
> >
> >  The best solution is just to state that player killing other players will
> > not be tolerated.
> >
> >  --Mark
>
> But part of the fun of x-fire is that you and a friend can go around
> beating the hell out of each other.  Killing people is not tolerated in
> society but it still happens.  I think just saying you can't do that takes
> some of the fun out.  How about the idea that you can not harm a character
> X levels below you?  That way, if players decide to go after each other,
> they'll be more evenly matched.
>
>       +============================+==============================+
>       | This message courtesy of:  | You bore me to death         |
>       |                            | So shut up for God's sake    |
>       |       Jeff Judkins         | Stop reading me the riot act |
>       | judkinsj@erau.db.erau.edu  | While my brains still intact |
>       +============================+==============================+
>            Kill'em all and then just let God sort out the mess.

A couple of us at chico thought alot about doing a xfire player killing
game.  We actually coded some on it, it is really almost done.  We
basically wanted to do a team thing, 2-6 teams, all running around
killing each other.  Each game has a certain goal (capture the
flag, kill the other team, etc).  To get something like this
to work, all that you really need to do is make some cool
player killing maps, alter the party system (done), alter
character generation code (done, to start characters all at a
playable level), and alter a few other little things like
put in a kill score.

This would really just be a toy until a working client/server
xfire is up, since only 6-8 people can play now, but we will
get it up and running soon I think.

Player killing is just too much fun.

So when do we actually start working on client/server?

Karim