Re: Solo/Multiplayer emphasis

Karim wrote:

> > From: Sven Neuhaus <neuhau00@marvin.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
> >
> > Beside that. Somone mentioned, that he would (like to) play with 30 players in one
> > system.
> > A few remarks to that case.(IMHO)
> > What a machine are you using for crossfire?
> > My 3/60 has problems, when running with xpm and only me in crossfire.
> > What does your sysadmin say, if you slow down a big machine with crossfire and 30
> > players on it?
>
> I was talking about once it is client server.  I think that 20 - 30 players
> is VERY reasonable, look at netrek for a fairly good rough idea of
> what client server can do.

Even when we have client/server there will be plenty of people who won't
be able to play across the Internet - people on slow links and long latency
links (I often see ping times of several seconds from here to the US !!).
Let's also not forget that we do already have some distribution of CPU load.
The X server on each machine is doing the actual rendering for each player,
so going to client/server isn't necessarily going to give us some enormous
magical increase in speed.

Rupert