Enchant Scrolls Again!

Hi, I've read all the recent mail about the Enchant scrolls but I still can't
get them to work. I've placed the correct amounts of booze and food on the
floor. But when I try to prepare the non-magical weapon it replies that the
weapon needs to be the first item in my inventory which is a bit odd as I was
only carrying the weapon and the scroll at the time (and of course loads of
diamonds) with the weapon at the top of my inventory. I've tried all sorts of
different combinations with the weapon wielded/unwielded and one , two or all
three of the items on the ground but nothing seems to work. Can someone please
help as these scrolls are getting a tad frustrating.