Re: the new maps

 Yes, the new maps are not what I would call 'great' maps.  But at the
same time, there really isn't anything (via mapguide document) that makes
them bad maps.  So they are more mediocre maps.

 I played the maps, and for most of them, did not think the treasure was
really excessive (cd maps might be a little more so, with most of the
2nd level towers having lower level monsters).

 One thing I try to fix (and people should keep in mind) is to make
treasures random.  Don't put fixed rings or potions in place.  With random
treasure, how good the treasure is will be affected by the difficulty
of the monsters.

 So a bunch of chests with low level monsters is not quite so bad, because
most of the stuff will be junk.

 I would like maps that are not the mindless killing of monsters.  But
I have gotten very few new maps to put in - those maps were from and
old distribution (0.90.0 I think).

 As a player, I have pretty much completed most every map.  As a player,
going through the same maps over and over again gets quite boring.  I know
that other people have also requested more maps.  So I added some more in.

 The real problem is what is considered proper reward for treasure.  For
example, I did not think that killing a titan in order to get an artifact
was unreasonable.  IF you can kill a titan, you probably already have
artifacts.

 IF someone can come up with good treasure values for monster numbers/
difficulty, it would make it much easier to adjust the difficulty of maps.

 The problem I have is that in order to gauge things properly, a character
of the appropriate level is needed.  For example, a 10'th level character
can easily kill a bunch of gnolls or madman or whatever is in the second
level of the cd maps, but at the same time, most of that treasure is
meaningless.  Maybe at 4'th level, it is a good challenge, and then by
playing that level character, you could see if that treasure is reasonable.

 As for monster mixing:  There really are not any guidelines.  Wyverns
and giants seem to be a very popular mix, even though the giants could be
killed by the wyverns fire.  Undead with undead is reasonable.  A
titan with most anything of lesser powerful could be seen as reasonable
(other monsters are the titans servants/pets).

 I do agree that tougher monsters are better than lots of monster.  In
the later case, spell casters have a high advantage, as they can kill
large numbers of monsters with spells, where as that barbarian has to hack
through them one by one.

 I would be interested in seeing/getting the modified maps, to see why
(what) you have changed Tyler.

 --Mark