Re: Maps distribution

On Wed, 30 Mar 1994, Raphael Quinet wrote:

> To all map creators out there: when you create a new set of
> maps, please keep it all in a subdirectory, and distribute
> a tar file with only these files in it.
>
> This would be nice if there were several "plug-in" map
> packages instead of a huge file with all maps in it.
> When you get a new map, you would only have to change the
> entry/exit point in the main map, then all new maps would
> be available.
>
> Well, I could be wrong, but I think this is a better
> solution than the current one.  Any comments?

***RIGHT*** That is one of the primiray ideas of the filepaths.
That you can modularizise the map package into the quest.

Earlier I have carried out the idea that the MapPack should
be relative to the author, but after practice this is not good
idea [I think like this yesterday, but not today. - TM - NoMeansNo].

The good size of the MapPack is the quest; if you have a idea of the
quest, build environment arount it and distribute ! This means the
size of MapPack comes somewhat smaller that packages usually today.

The other thing I have concerned is using different World's. Ie.
changing the CROSSFIRE_LIB environment variable totally (the flag
-lib <TheOtherWorld> would be nice, but I'm too lazy to implement
it (more I do the ScriptHack :), any volunteer ? :)

Because the exist now inbalance thinking different quests. You
can go to easy maps, get the items and expo, then go straight to
the end of the Quest, without developing the character from the
beginning (well, this is one stratery the, other is there are
different level quests (see I'm inflected, I have addicted to
nethack last times :))

But making different World is not quite easy. I tried
once and hear "the last scream of the last encounter map" :)
The things that came out were, what are the needed maps,
archetypes or forms of the archetypes, treasures other files.
In the Lib exists file and another, have any one idea how
to write them out from scratch to make OwnDifferentWorld ?
(even have a energy to write a documentation :)

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --