Re: xpm slow?

Philip Brown <philb@soda.berkeley.edu> writes:
> I disagree. The reason pixmaps are slow is because of X overhead.
> the reason fonts ar quicker is because of font mechanisms to reduce X
> overhead.
> With client/server models, there wil be NO X overhead. hence no problem.
All client/server will buy you is not having the X stuff running over
long-haul networks; you'll still be doing X stuff to the local
machine, which should have about the same performance as running
crossfire and displaying it on the same machine.
--
One substantial slowdown to xpm stuff is the fact that it draws
multiple objects in a pile instead of just drawing the top object.