Re: Graveyards and banks

Be warned.  There follows much shameless plugging of my idea for banks
and depositories.

> The banks/deposit boxes can be implemented (at least) two main way.
> The first is saved maps and the second is saved containers (or special
> squares). I myself prefer to save whole maps, but saved squares might
> not be that bad idea (mark every square in map as saveable so you save
> whole map!). The best solution is probably implement both, since it isn't
> too much extra code.
>
> And more about permanently saved maps. The biggest problem with banks
> isn't that when player dies, nobody won't get the stuff from there,
> but that a new 1st level character comes and empties it (i.e. takes
> all best armors and weapons from there). All deposit boxes should be
> very much available from only one character. Also I prefer normal game
> mechanism of getting stuff from deposit boxes (i.e. special keys,
> passwords, using normal maps, etc.).

With the method I proposed, this could not occur: a character going into
a bank/depository will only see the items they left there, and hence can't
steal somone else's stuff.  As for the saving part, I sort of see it acting
like this:

 ---+      +----+     +--+
  P # ==>  # P @| ==> |@P|
 ---+      +----+     +--+
  1          2         3

Player P (in room 1) enters door '#'.  This door, leading to a map marked
'special', creates a new instance of the map and puts P in it (room 2).

This room has a shop-type teleporter (@).  Stepping onto it takes P into
room 3.  It also has another effect, that of triggering the archetype in
room 3 which loads the objects P has already saved.  In the diagram, P is
on top of this archetype.  Also, this shop mat could charge P for the
outstanding fees s/he has accumulated, and not allow P in if they can't
pay enough.

When P has finished making transactions, s/he leaves via the teleporter.
This triggers the saving of the items left behind in room 3.

Now, the reasons I like this system are as follows:

1)  Characters cannot steal another player's items (without stealing the
   player's name - the entrance is effectively locked on name).

2)  The bank/depository _always_ has a spare room for you to use.  I regard
   this as a good idea.

While some details of the implementation probably need revising, I think
this is a workable plan.

> Passwords are available everyone and not very save solution, so the key is
> the best solutions which comes to mind. It's easy implement, just buy key
> from the bank/inn and carry it with you. The problems raises when someone
> destroys keys, since those rooms can not be used any longer. Solution is
> of course made keys impossible to destroy and save them like corpses. When
> someone comes corpse, (s)he can empty your goods and resurrect your
> body if possible. Another possibility would be doors locked by player's
> name so no one else can't get through it. Very safe, but it's any better?
> The key feels more realistic, IMHO.

As described above, there is no need for any keys, so this problem does not
arise.  The contents are effectively locked by name, but in a transparent
way.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm)   |   Programmer by trade --
ftww@cs.su.oz.au                      |       Gameplayer by vocation.