Re: Death, graveyards & deposit boxes

Death:  Personally, I don't think its very much fun always having
to start new characters up.  That is why I'm in favor of NOT_PERMADEATH
or RESURRECTION.  Of the two, I favor NOT_PERMADEATH.  You're punished
by dying, but you are not stuck with the task of starting aup an
a new character, slogging through maps which you're very familiar with,
just so that you can go exploring in more dangerous areas.

Seriously, the FIRST time you build up a character it's fun.  The
sixth or seventh isn't, it becomes work, not play.  Thnk twice before
installing a system which makes it no fun to play.  Dying should be punished,
but having to go back to square one every time would really suck.

As often as not, the server kills you somehow.  Netlag, whatever.

At some point, there will probably be a public server at Berkeley,
but I won't want to play there, since I'll be server god.  Its
no fun to play where you make all the rules.  I will either use
NOT_PERMADEATH or an even easier version of RESURRECTION, so that
you could bring someone back by paying a fee someplace.

I think that stats should be nailed by dying, but NOT all the way
down to 3.  Comon, a character with a con of 3 is a walking corpse.
If some monster looks at him the wrong way he'll drop dead again.
You could pay 80k gold for potions, but what if you cannot afford it?
You have a useless character that may as well be dead, or you have to
go through a lot of pain to build up cash to buy potions.

I would do things this way:  NOT_PERMADEATH until there are several
players of a high enough level to bring people back.  Announce that
the world is changing, and set up a quest to learn the secrets
of life.  When several people have resurrection spells, go to RESURRECTION.

I would only use RESURRECTION also if the server was stable enough
so that people could rely on recovering bodies and some possessions.

Regards,

PeterM