Classes and abilities.

 Back to this discussion about how race does not make much difference:

 What might be an interesting change would be to have a chance of mage spell
failure based upon how much metal armor the character is wearing.

 So if the character has 60% absorption from metal armor, he has 60%
spell failure.

 This way, a character could become a fighter in a tin can, but not if he
wants to cast any spells.  Likewise, he could wear leather armor, and
other non metal armour (maybe add wooden shields and leather helms) without
problem.

 I know one old gamesystem had it so that mages could not wear ferrous based
armor, but silver or copper armor could be worn.  Both of these being a lot
more expensive, and offering less protection than the comparable steel
armor.

 The problem with slower spellpoint regeneration, is that at least what I
do, is after I used up my spellpoints, I either leave the map, or find
a safe place on the map, and just take off all the armor and regenerate
the spellpoints at a reasonable rate.  As such, except for speed, there is
little reason for my spellcasting characters not to wear very heavy armor.

 --Mark