Re: Help with implementing Thiefly things?

>> This isn't what worries me.  I'm worried that I might have to spend a
>> minute or two on every chest I find looking for traps so that I don't
>> blow myself into oblivion when I open it.
>>
>> Yes, thieving should be useful.  But please don't make it impossible to
>> live if you don't have thieving capabilities.
>
>   1)  All treasure is not in chests,

True.  I never said it was.

>   2)  traps' deadliness would be in line with the difficulty of the dungeon,
>       thus, probably unable to kill you if you're not being arrogant with
>       someone weak.

Ah.  Well I guess I'm in trouble then. :)

>   3)  *I* would have strong objections to making it too much work to examine
>       and disarm chests.  There are so *many* damned chests.

Yes!  Possible idea:  characters opening chests are assumed to perform some
extremely basic form of trap searching first.  This skill could never rise
above, say, 50%.  (That may be a bit high.  But then again, that could be
only achievable for very high levels.)  Then there is a command which examines
the chest carefully for traps.  This either uses a different skill, or the
other one at twice strength, or something like that.

This skill/command should be applicable to potentially trapped items
generally.  The basic searching skill could also be used when walking to
detect traps (at a lesser chance, I think.  Perhaps halved).  This could
make things automatic to some extent, while still having active searching
be a useful thing to do.

>   4)  Magical alternatives would be given....

Sounds good.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm)   |   Programmer by trade --
ftww@cs.su.oz.au                      |       Gameplayer by vocation.