Re: Skills!

On Fri, 3 Jun 1994, Rupert G. Goldie wrote:

> > From: Peter Mardahl <peterm@soda.berkeley.edu>
> >   What would happen is that everyone would bind a small subset
> > of these spells to keys.  This is fine, but what is the point?
> > Even as it is, people only use a small subset of the spells often.
> >
> >   I like the idea a lot too, but crossfire is far too quick-paced
> > for this.....  It'd be adding a complicated feature which is mostly
> > unused.  Better to invest energy in a server-client split.
>
> While this sort of system seems like a good idea it is flawed in a couple
> of ways. One, as Peter has pointed out, is that it is too complex. The other
> problem is game balance - with a automatic system you can't get the balance
> right, so people will soon discover the best spell combination for spell
> point cost. You will also not be able to create spells like magic-mapping
> or resurrection with this type of system, all the spells will become variations
> on a very basic theme.

Th idea is just in it's medium complexity, to make and test combinations,
to get feel of make magic (or isn't magic just to make weird systems :).

It's medium complexity. For typing it's just like as to say something
to monster. And there are the input system just for this :).
You can imagine a system with large complexity, where the spells are
written like subroutines, with "if"'s ano so on.

The balancing can be done as adjusting the spellpoint costs, as
it done before. The number of variations depends the player and
the character (if the will be made differiencies between characters).
The mage have of course the bigger list of variations than the
fighter. And different people likes different spells as weapons.

>  I agree with Peter - there are things like client/server which deserve more
> attention right now.

I agree with this also. The spell systems, etc. are the world
creating stuff. The client/server are the base resources upon
the world is created.

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --