Re: Crossfire & You.. I mean &XCOMM

It seems like there are a lot of urban legends here...

This isn't XCOMM vs. /**/, it's XCOMM vs. #

Imakefiles are processed by cpp. As we all know, cpp-directives start
with #. Most cpp are pretty forgiving about all the "unknown
directives" comments represent, but the "comment"

# 2 files needed for blah

will give warnings from most cpp, since it emits # <number> itself for
keeping track of nested include files.

So, #define XCOMM # will keep cpp happy, and make will cheerfully
accept the traditional # comments.

+--- Philip Brown --------- <199406130146.SAA28958@soda.berkeley.edu> ---
| Wait... what make on what system chokes on blank lines in the
| makefile??? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Agreed. I guess Mark hints at "almost blank" lines. E.g.

	/* nice comment here */

will make make choke, since the TAB will survive, and you shouldn't
have TABs begin lines except inside rules.

+--- Philip Brown --------- <199406121846.LAA07754@soda.berkeley.edu> ---
| Configuration that can only be done in the Imakefile can use /* */ .
| However, if you do strange things, I think you should use XCOMM to
| explain them.

I agree with Philip, sometimes /* */ should be used, sometimes XCOMM.

Kjetil T.