Re: Is there anybody there?

 I think client server would be a good approach to take.

 However, a lot can also be done to just reduce the load on the servers
without going to client server (organize the data structures better so that
it is quicker to find those objects that are alive.  I remember someone
said they did this for an Amiga port, and it greatly increased performance.)

 Also, perhaps an option to prevent graphics animation.  Fireballs would still
burn things up, but grass would blow in the wind as it does now.  This change
would also reduce the bandwidth consumed by crossfire.

 There are several problems that do exist with a true client server approach.
If the client does a lot of the actions, with the server only acting to
mediate the actions (if several players are on the same map), it does open
the possibility of someone hacking a client to give themselves incredible
powers.

 So even before hacking starts to make a client server approach, what the
client does and what the server does needs to be settled.  If all the
client does is act as the display mechanism, I don't know how much bandwidth
or cpu time will be saved (especially if no animation code is added in..)

   Mark Wedel
master@rahul.net