Re: er...xbmtoxpm???

On Tue, 22 Feb 1994, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> I'll redraw my own bitmaps (~100), but was there a consensus on which
> colours should be used? I think we should restrict ourselves to a set
> of 40 or so colours.

Well, the number of colors ?

16 is nice, if there are some day made a own file format
for pixmaps. The xpm format comsumes quite a amount of
space due to it`s design-direction that it`s visible
in file-level. But a see that later the image need to
be packed into one file as a binary format. By 16
colors there can be packed two pixels into one byte.
so image takes 288 bytes.

If the 16 isn`t enough at all, then the next size is
256 thinking as size. There could use some kind of
compression (RLE,..) to image, but I think the benefit
for 24x24 size if quite small. So if compressed, the
file as itself should compressed by gzip or compress
to get benefit.

256 colors is naturally too much because most of us
use 8-bits X-servers. So colors should be saved for
other programs as well.

Here is just a another set of colors (haven`t this
discussed before ? :) :

	00 - transparent
	01 - black
	02 - dark gray
	03 - grey
	04 - light gray
	05 - white
	06 - dark red
	07 - red
	08 - light red
	09 - dark green
	10 - green
	11 - light green
	12 - dark blue
	13 - blue
	14 - light blue
	15 - dark yellow
	16 - yellow
	17 - light yellow
	18 - dark magneta
	19 - magneta
	20 - light magneta
	21 - dark syan
	22 - syan
	23 - light syan

- here is color-circle gone round (not in order). Well
  there are 23 colors now :)

- the coding should be systematic if possible

- The RGB-coding isn`t good here because we have allocate
  colormap anyway.

email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi
  www: <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Homepage</A>
 mail: Ainonkatu 2A