XPMs in crossfire (Was Re: er...xbmtoxpm???)

Excerpts from games.Crossfire: 23-Feb-94 Re: er...xbmtoxpm??? Raphael
Quinet@montefior (808)

> I have yet to find a pixmap editor that supports symbolic names.  For now,
> I use manual or semi-automatic editing of XPM files when I want to use the
> advanced features of the XPM library.  :-(  But I've been told that some
> editors do support those things.  Maybe someone could tell me where I can
> find these programs?

You'll find that the most basic editor supports symbolic names: pixmap.
This is the XPM version of bitmap.  Crude, but it works.  For small
images such as that used in crossfire, it's probably got all the
features required.  You can get it from the X contrib site (ftp.x.org or
src.doc.ic.ac.uk or.... )

BTW: if there will be a move to xpm's opposed to fonts in the future,
would it be possible to switch to single images at the same time, rather
than the strangeness of images constructed from a set of fixed size
images (e.g. a house is four characters, a dragon is about 9 characters.
 Why not just make them one image?).  This would make construction of
new archetypes and other related things much easier.

Nick Williams                          E-mail: njw@cs.city.ac.uk (MIME and ATK)
Systems Architecture Research Centre,  Tel: +44 71 477 8551
London, EC1V 0HB                       Fax: +44 71 477 8587