Re: various ideas...

David.M.Fisher@Dartmouth.EDU (David M. Fisher) recently wrote:
>I've had a few ideas about some aspects of crossfire, and I was wondering if
>anyone has done work on them, or if perhaps the group decided they were
>infeasible, etc.
>
>1) Player information directories, not just a file.  In this directory would
>be:
>  - the normal player data file
>  - a link to what the player considers "home"  (where he/she goes with the
>word of recall spell, and possibly other things)

Altering where 'word of recall' goes is a neat idea.  I hadn't exactly
 considered letting players customize it to that point, but sure, why not.

I'd also like to see the starting position different from recall position,
or even let people choose from a list of starting positions.

Then you could start new players, say, in the 'beginners' map, to cut back
on new player confusion.   I tried this a bit on our server on scotch (now
defunct :-(  ).

>  - if the player's home is owned only by the player (more on that in a
>second) then the player could leave items there that would survive game
>reset.  As it is right now, everyone who finds items that they want to keep,
>yet not carry around makes a "holder" character and dumps everything there.
>This would make things a little easier, is all.

And how do you keep other players from sneaking in and burgling them?  I
hope you at least make it possible to do so, yet not impossible. Then
there _would_ be a place for thieves in crossfire. :-)

>  - a description file, that is editable by the player.  This would allow
>life stories and interesting thoughts, promoting a little more
>individualization.  Sort of like a .sig/.plan./.project all rolled into
>one...

Nice idea, but how would the character edit this?

>2) About the player's home:
>
>For low-level players, this could just be a room at an inn or some such.
>Improvements might be things like a room in your guild (if you have one),
>your own house in town, a castle, etc.  All you'd need in the player
>directory would be a link to the appropriate spot, so that shouldn't be too
>difficult.  The rest of it would be normal map stuff.  There might be some
>issues regarding whether other players are allowed into that room or not, or
>any costs the player might bear for having a room, etc.

Would work well with my generic maps ideas, too (covered in a separte mailing)

>I'd be willing (even anxious!) to work on this stuff, but I don't want to get
>started just to find out that it was considered not part of the game or some
>one else had already done it.

I beleive someone here was maintaining a list of who was working on what.

 ERic mehlhaff, mehlhaff@ocf.Berkeley.EDU