Re: Further notes about 0.90.1.

Tero Kivinen <kivinen@joker.cs.hut.fi> recently wrote:

>"'Evil' ERic Mehlhaff" writes:
>> I see this working is that in the archetypes, you can specify something in
>> their entrance (slaying) field for whatever, say /generic/house.  If, in
>
>When I tried to create some items it was very annoying because every
>field is used for so many different things. It would be quite easy to
>add some more keywords to archtypefile parser so it could contain
>different keywords for all different things and parser would then put
>the stuff after keyword to some field in archtype-structure. Parser
>could also check that any of the fields is'nt set twice etc. There
>should at least be some kind of document of all those different
>settings you can set for different kind of objects. Perhaps there
>should be better "language" to define archtypes, maps etc.

I agree. I was always annoyed by the fact that certain fields in the
object fields meant something totally weird in the actual game.
I like the fact that the files were all in text.  It shouldn't be hard to
make things like 'exit_to' mean the same thing as 'slaying' to the parser,
and we'd have the added benefit of not needing to translate the maps
and archetypes if an exit_to field in the actual object structs gets
made later on.

And, values like 'last_sp' have totally nonintuitive meanings in things
like weapons and armour.  Documentation on what they mean would be really
nice.  I've added a few in our local crossire.doc -- I'll post it if
people want it -- unless someone's got a real complete version floating
around somewhere...

 ERic mehlhaff, mehlhaff@ocf.Berkeley.EDU