Re: Pixmaps .vs. bitmaps

On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Eric A. Anderson wrote:

> As I'm working on putting bitmaps into the client/server stuff, I ran
> into a problem that the pixmaps don't support setting the fg/bg, but
> the bitmaps do.  I've been wondering what people think about this, I
> personally like the pixmaps better than the bitmaps, and think that
> the performance of pixmaps can be improved so that pretty much
> everyone can use them.  However, pixmaps lose the change the monster
> by changing the fg/bg ability.  Do people care about this?  Is it
> important, or can I hack something up for bitmaps to make them act
> more like pixmaps?

The fore/background coloring is good for random coloring
purposes, eg. like the potions in nethack. Or it can show
the state of item, for example altar. Or it's easy way to
wary different kind of monsters. or ...

One solution is to reserve the pixels 1 for foreground and
2 for background, the 0 exist already for transparency.

This would need the refiging the pixmaps for that use, that
might be a quite work.

btw. if someone sometime redraws the pixmaps, please make
the look'n feel more darker, gruel and to show out more
sorrow and agony, they are just too happy to me >:) .

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --