Re: time for the identification spell

On Wed, 17 Aug 1994, Peter Mardahl wrote:

> Is there any reason for the identification spell to take so long
> other than to be annoying?

It takes so long from id spell to examine what item it is and
how it's damned it is :)

>   1)  People aren't going to use identify much except when there are
>   2)  If people ARE taking the time to muck about with inventory while
>   3)  Who's actually stupid enough to try and identify stuff (a
>
> Therefore, the long casting time is purely an annoyance.  It may be
> 'realistic' but there's no function to it for the game.

Generally all non-attack spells are not needed so long time
for balancing. For "realistic", you can think that attack
spells need much time, because there have to concentrate hard
for controlling the mana flow to the damaging powers, and
concentrating to the enemy.

As I see the casting time could classify:

	long	attack spells
	medium	healing-, curing spells, fear, ... illusions
	short	examining, enchantment spells

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --