Re: xpm: designing

Mark Wedel writes:
 >  I am not sure if I totally followed your message correctly, but a
 > few comments.
 >
 >  As far as I know, there is nothing preventing a map designer to
 > change the is_floor variables for specific archetypes inside of
 > crossedit.  So in some cases, that shop building might be a floor, while
 > in others, it should be an actual object.
 >
 >  I actually think that the cobblestone entry way for shops, while looking
 > nice for towns which have cobblestone roads, looks odd for towns that
 > using something else.  It would probably be better to just leave that
 > blank, and then put whatever the appropriate floor is below it.

I did those cobblestone shops, and I don't like them this way either.
I tried to put a floor below and leave the space blank, but then you
only see the floor instead of the shop whenever there's an object or
player on it, and that looks horrible.

How about he following solution:
Change the display code to draw all items of type is_floor on top of
each other, then draw the topmost item on the stack.  If archetypes
are handled carefully so that floor-type items are always no_pick, we
don't run the risk of having to draw hundreds of pixmaps in one spot,
but mostly two or maybe three.  Then you just put whatever floor you
want under the shop and get both drawn, even if you step on the
entrance.

This would also help for levers and handles, which would then only be
hidden by large objects, but not by an arrow or bolt.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
	Greg