Re: A quick draft of a preliminary proposal for a possible version of the crossfire protocol

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> +---
> | Each packet consists out of one line of text terminated by a newline
> | (0x0a) character.  Line lengths of up to 4096 characters (including
> | the terminating newline) are guaranteed to work.
>
> Of course, "packet" here is in the meaning "command" - one command can
> consume several TCP-packets (or whatever) or the other way around. A
> TCP-packet can contain one and a half command, and the first command
> must then be processed before the other half of the second command
> arrives. (Obvious, but I think it needs saying)
I think it might be better to transfer each packet as a size and the
data.  This will work for both strings and binary data, and it
eliminates the problem of having to figure out how much of the data is
really yours. -- You can also eliminate arbitrary limits like 4096
using this strategy.
          -Eric
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
           -The Mad Hatter
"Yes, you're very smart.  Shut up."
           -In "The Princess Bride"