Re: cheating

From: Peter Mardahl <peterm@soda.berkeley.edu>
> Part of the reason that I'd like to see LOS done on the client is
> that it would be nice to have a larger display, as large as your
> client could handle computationally.
>

> The current little display is kinda small, in my opinion, and I'd
> like to see the freedom in the design of the client to make the
> display larger.....

The protocol I proposed a few days ago allows arbitrarily large
displays and makes use of them by allowing the client to keep all parts
of the map it has ever seen in the display, even if LOS is done
server-side.  Those two issues are unrelated.  All the server
determines how far away an event can happen and the player still
perceive it.  That is a fact of the simulated world (much like the
weight of items or how many spell points a fire ball costs) and as such
falls under the domain of the server.

> As to player killing, most server gods forbid it.

I think that is a pity.  Killing players should be hard and at least
when done in towns have very serious in-game consequences.  Also it
should be not too hard to resurrect powerful players so that a
potential assassin also has to consider the possible revenge of the
character himself (in addition to other characters of the same player,
characters of friends and automated law-enforcement "monsters").  Just
making it illegal by server god fiat greatly detracts from the human
interaction which makes a game like crossfire so fascinating and from
at least my enjoyment of the game (even and in particular as I very
rarely indeed actually would try to kill another player character).

	Carl Edman