Re: ASCII vs binary - holy war...

    >   No conversion is necessary, unless the byte order is different (and
    >   it's easy to handle that case).

    Or if the padding is different or if data sizes are different.  Can it
    be done by a staff of experienced network programmers who are willing
    to devote significant amounts of time debugging (not an enjoyable
    experience in any environment) for free just to find an elusive client
    bug ?  Sure.  Do we have such a staff i.e. people who have actually
    designed and implemented network protocols before _and_ are willing to
    debug DOS clients ?  I don't think so.

I'd like to point out that
1) we have made no commitment to "support" a DOS client
2) we don't have to
3) whoever says they're going to write one wil have the job of supporting
       it
4) no one has commited to writing one