Re: Line-of-sight, still

> [Note: I actualy changed the Subject: line to keep it relevant!
>  Ooooooo.... AAaahhhh......]

>     Again, I disagree.  We have been over this terrain three or four times
>     already in the last few days, but I guess I'm the only one who actually
>     reads all the articles (it helps in replying).  Having LOS done on the
>     client side both costs you huge latency every time you enter or leave a
>     map even if you only move a few squares in it and requires the constant
>     transmission to the client the location of every single moving monster
>     in the entire map even if the player is standing still.
>

> Where did you get this??? You only have to transmit things that chnge in
> the 11x11 part of the map.
>
> People who have chhacked their client to "see a larger area" wil be able
> to see where they are relative to other things (which I think is a
> wonderful idea). However, their actual character can only physically see
> 5 squares ahead, so that's what they get updates for.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yes, I think it would be a good idea for the server to keep a frame of
reference for each client...5x5..or NxN where N is defined by the server
god. Then, if changes occur on that NxN section, server sends them to the
client. Of course, if the client is configured to show only a 5x5 and the
server has a 7x7 frame of reference, then the server would be sending
data that the client cant see.....

likewise though...if a "cheating" client has an 11x11 viewing area..but
the server only has a 5x5 frame of reference well the client just doesnt
get any data from the server outside of 5x5.

Let the client do LOS for its whole viewing area...if your only allowing it
to see 5x5...it can calculate outside that all it wants...the user still
wont see much.

Something on pixmaps: (kinda a different topic) I still think the best way
would be to ask the user if they wish to download two different set of pixmaps
when they first login: FIRST is a standard library that is common to all servers
and the second is a specific set of pixmaps for that server. The user would
also be notified of what date the standard and specific pixmap librarys were
last updated. So if a user has downloaded the "standard library" from any
server...it should be exactly the same...as long as it has the same date as
the one the server reports. For server gods, the standard library would be
"off limits" for modifying.

What this does is put all pixmap info on the client side..thus after the initial
time of downloading and saving the pixmap library to a local directory, all
display data can be pulled out of that library and not transmitted across.

Tyler.

ps. Sorry if I have rehashed anything.....I am guilty of not reading ALL
messages....but I have read many :>

`