playing crossfire

1) I have tried 2 crossfire sites (xhost then telnet with port 13326):
sonja.math.virginia.edu and soda.berkeley.edu
 Doesnt work.  It sits there then eventually gives me a connection
timed out.

2) I have crossfire compiled.  How do you play multiplayer?  (a simple
way)

3) I run crossfire alone (just to try it out).  It asks for a name.  I
keep entering millions and billions of different names (Even '`adsf'adsf'
and it keeps says "That name already taken".  Bug?

 dpapp@muskwa.ucs.ualberta.ca