Re: maps, archetypes, and everything

> I upgraded our version of crossfire to 0.89.3/0.7 (the version of
> crossfire contained within crossedit 0.7) a while ago (being a daring
> sort of person :-).  I took the std release of maps with that.  Problem
> is that most of the scrolls in the maps are broken (a scroll archetype
> as opposed to a random_scroll archetype).
>
> Well, I finally got fed up with that and went to grab the "converted
> maps" found on madhatter FTP site.  They don't look particularly
> converted to me!
> 1) They don't have the new names (e.g. steinblokk instead of bwall_0).
> 2) They have references to many archetypes which don't exist. (e.g. maps
> within brittany).
> 3) The maps for the editor reference the following nonexistent archs:
> 	Couldn't find archetype note
> 	Couldn't find archetype gratedoor_1
> 	Couldn't find archetype gratedoor_2
> 	Couldn't find archetype crystal_ball
> 	Couldn't find archetype platinacoin
> 	Couldn't find archetype rod_light
> 	Couldn't find archetype rod_heavy
> 	Couldn't find archetype horn
> 	Couldn't find archetype horn2
> 	Couldn't find archetype cake
> 	Couldn't find archetype barrel
> 	Couldn't find archetype ggate_open
> 	Couldn't find archetype ggate_closed
> 	Couldn't find archetype ladder_up
> 	Couldn't find archetype ladder_down
> 	Couldn't find archetype ladder_bi_up
> 	Fatal: Too many errors

ok the crossedit.7 version was developed at about the same time crossfire.89.3
was done. What this means is......they are not the same...at all. Some
brave soul must merge the two copies....:< any voulenteers?? :>

Thus the problem with the archetypes....these archtypes were created with
crossfire.83.3...and were not included in the arch distribution that came
with crossedit.

> I then said, OK, I'll get the "chico" archetypes which was put into ifi
> FTP site recently. That is s'posed to have all archetypes, plus extra
> local to chico ones.  Well, no. It doesn't. That set of archetypes gives
> me the following errors, and doesn't provide the missing archs...
>
> 	Warning, unknown (or oldfashioned) variable: unaggresive
> 	Warning, unknown (or oldfashioned) variable: no_move
> 	Couldn't find treasurelist jail
> 	Failed to link treasure to arch: randomitems
> 	Couldn't find treasurelist jail
> 	Failed to link treasure to arch: randomitems
> 	Couldn't find treasurelist jail
> 	Failed to link treasure to arch: randomitems
> 	Couldn't find treasurelist unicorn
> 	Failed to link treasure to arch: randomitem

:> ok problem with these........remove the reference to no_move....I believe
it is in the prisoner.arc file.....then rebuild the archetypes.

the unaggresive should by unaggressive, someone here cant type :>

as for the rest.....I created three new archetypes which are basically copies
of man, woman, and sage, the difference is, when they die, the generate a
jail treasure, which should be defined in the "treasures" file. The simply
generate three buff knights as 'treasure' who kick the player's butts. Thus,
anyone attacking my city folks.......get a little surprise. :>

> Not so useful.
> Is there ANYWHERE an up-to-date (0.89.3/0.7) set of maps, which comes
> _with_ the correct assortment of archetypes?

my suggestion....: find a copy of crossfire.89.3 grab the archetypes file that
comes with that distribution........find the missing archetypes in the
big archetypes file and make all the required  .arc files from that...then move
those into subdirectories of "arch" in the crossedit.7 version.

> Also in this version of crossfire, the button_handle's don't always work
> and I can't work out why.  You pull them, and they immediately reset
> themselves, without changing the connected item.

ok, problem here is that buttons only work with "button_doors" they do NOT
work with "triggers"

you need a "trigger_button" to open and "trigger_door"

you need a regular "button" to open regular "doors" :>

these dudes aren't interchangable.

It seems rather silly....shrug....

Tyler