how to use crossfire fonts with Openwindows

Right, I've got it all working!  I know not many people are using Openwindows,
so this might be the first time the fonts have been got working for it - we've
been putting up with it using the bitmaps up until now in Cardiff!  I'm posting
the method to the crossfire mailing list so everyone can know how to do it, it
would be handy if it was noted down somewhere.  Anyway, what I had to do in the
end to convert crossfire.bdf into something usable by Openwindows was:

1. use "convertfont -b crossfire.bdf" to generate a file called "crossfire.fb"
   (an X11/NeWS font format)

2. use "bldfamily -v" which finds crossfire.fb and generates a file called
   "crossfire.ff", a font family file, which is a set of font files grouped
   together to form a single postscript font

And that's it!  Tried crossfire and it worked straight away without generating
the bitmaps!

Hope this information might be useful to you all,

Simon

Simon N. McIntosh-Smith, PhD candidate    |  Email : Simon.N.Smith@cm.cf.ac.uk
Room M/1.36 Department of Computing Maths |  Phone : +44 (0)222 874000
University of Wales, College of Cardiff   |  Fax   : +44 (0)222 666182
PO Box 916, Cardiff, Wales, CF2 4YN, U.K. |  Home  : +44 (0)222 560522