urgent crossfire help!

Our crossfire has just stopped working, for no apparent reason.
It is version 0.89.3, and gives the followin message upon startup:

% crossfire
Couldn't find archetype u_horn
Treasure lacks archetype: u_horn
Welcome to CrossFire, v0.89.3, copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.
Trying to fix fontpath for display :0.0.

The game then starts, and even thought we have the correct fonts in the
right place, the playing area goes haywire with all the wrong characters.

I've done a grep looking for u_horn, and I found it here:

% cd /usr/local/gamescrossedit-0.7/fonts
% grep u_horn *
crossfire.bdf:STARTCHAR u_horn.111
crossfire.bdf:STARTCHAR u_horn.112
crossfire.bdf:STARTCHAR u_horn.113
crossfire.bdf:STARTCHAR u_horn.114
crossfire.bdf:STARTCHAR u_horn.115
%

This is wierd!  Why should it be trying to use u_horn as an archetype anyone?
I've managed to trave the place where the error message is given - it's
origin is the function

treasure *load_treasure(FILE *fp)

in common/treasure.c

Any help anyone?